Chocolate Butterscotch Haystacks combine chocolate and butterscotch chips with chow mein noodles for a delicious no bake treat that’s ready in minutes.
These haystack cookies are a blast from the past and a classic treat that is loved by many. They’re great for any occasion as you can switch them up with different chocolate, adding mix ins such as peanuts and topping with sprinkles for the specific holiday.
The best part is that they require no baking so when you’re officially done with your holiday baking but need to whip something up quick, these haystacks are a hit at parties.
They also are a great activity to do with kids, as they can help with the mixing and forming of the cookies and have fun decorating them with sprinkles or other toppings.
Haystack Cookies Ingredients
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
- Chow mein noodles
Variations and Substitutions
- If you love the combination of chocolate and peanuts, feel free to add some chopped peanuts into the mix.
- Substitute chow mein noodles for pretzels.
- Try different kinds of chocolate chips such as dark chocolate or white chocolate or use just butterscotch chips and skip the chocolate.
- Sprinkle sea salt on top for added flavor.
- Use holiday sprinkles to make it festive.
How to Make Haystacks
In a microwave safe bowl add chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. Melt in microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between until melted and smooth.
Add chow mein noodles to bowl and stir carefully until fully coated.
Drop spoonfuls of haystacks on top of lined baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place in fridge for about 30 minutes or until hardened.
- Stir chow mein noodles gently in the melted chocolate to prevent breaking.
- Use parchment paper to allow the haystacks to dry with easy removal and prevent from sticking.
- Melt chocolate in 30 second increments stirring in between to prevent from seizing.
Serving Suggestions and Storage Tips
- Package in cute little gift bags or cookie tin to give as homemade gifts.
- Place on a platter for the dessert table.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool location for up to 5 days or in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- If you’d like to freeze them, place them in an airtight container with parchment paper in between layers and freeze for up to 3 months.
Are these haystacks gluten-free?
The traditional recipe is not gluten-free as it uses chow mein noodles which contain wheat. However, you can easily make them gluten-free by using gluten-free pretzels or rice cereal instead of chow mein noodles.
Can I add nuts to the haystacks?
Yes, you can definitely customize your haystacks by adding chopped nuts like almonds, peanuts, or cashews.
More Candy Recipes
- Pretzel Snowmen
- Glass Candy
- Chocolate Cherry Christmas Mice
- Christmas Cracker Candy
- Christmas Candy Sleigh
Chocolate Butterscotch Haystacks
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups butterscotch chips
- 6 oz. package of chow mein noodles
- In a microwave safe bowl add chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. Melt in microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between until melted and smooth.
- Add chow mein noodles to bowl and stir carefully until fully coated.
- Drop spoonfuls of haystacks on top of lined baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place in fridge for about 30 minutes or until hardened.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.