This Pumpkin Hot Chocolate is a delightful fall drink to warm up with on those cooler nights!
Fall is just about here, and that means pumpkin spice everything! Whether you’re baking your own pumpkin pies or just drinking some hot chocolate at home, this recipe is perfect for getting into the spirit. And if you’re feeling extra festive, add a little cinnamon to the mix!
There’s just something about making homemade hot chocolate and getting cozy with a blanket by the fire. It warms my heart and something I look forward to when the colder weather trickles in.
As you can probably tell from my recipes that I love pumpkin spice. I have a bunch of pumpkin spice recipes like my Pumpkin Spice Roll Cake that’s perfect for gathering or my No Bake Pumpkin Spice Oreo Cream Cheese Dip for when your binge watching your favorite shows on Netflix. You can never have enough pumpkin spice. Enjoy!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Perfect drink for fall!
- Delicious pumpkin and chocolate flavor!
- Can be easily make more to serve a crowd!
- Ready in 10 minutes!
- Comforting drink by the fire!
What You Will Need
- Milk – whole milk works best but can use 2%.
- White chocolate Ghirardelli’s melting wafers – can also use white chocolate baking bar.
- Pumpkin puree – can use canned or homemade pumpkin puree.
- Sugar – can add more if you want it sweeter.
- Whipped cream – for topping.
- Cinnamon – for topping.
How to Make Pumpkin Hot Chocolate
Heat milk in a pan over medium heat. Add in pumpkin puree, sugar, and white chocolate wafers.
Bring to a low boil while whisking constantly. Be sure not to burn it. Once the chocolate is melted and is smooth pour into a cup.
Add whipped topping and cinnamon. Serve hot!
Storing & Reheating
- To Store: Allow to cool completely. Place remaining leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat: Heat to desired temperature on the stovetop or microwave.
Hot Chocolate Toppings
While this recipe calls for whipped cream and cinnamon topping there are other toppings you can add such as the following.
- Chocolate shavings
- Spike it with some alcohol for the adults
- Chocolate Syrup
- Chocolate chips
Can this pumpkin hot chocolate serve a crowd?
Yes, you can easily make more to however many you are serving. If serving a large crowd I would suggest putting in a crockpot to heat up and keep warm.
Can I spike this pumpkin hot chocolate?
Of course you can spike pumpkin hot chocolate. My favorite to add is some bourbon or rum but you could also add some flavored vodka to it. I think vanilla or whipped vodka would be delicious.
Can I use dark chocolate instead of white chocolate?
White chocolate pairs nicely with this recipe but you could use dark chocolate if you’d prefer. The taste will be a bit different and darker in color.
Can this be made dairy-free?
Yes, you can make this pumpkin hot chocolate dairy-free by swapping out the milk and chocolate for a non-dairy option. Also, eliminate the whipped cream topping.
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 10 white chocolate Ghirardelli's melting wafers
- 3 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoon sugar (more if you want it sweeter)
- Whipped cream, for topping
- Cinnamon, for topping
- Heat milk in a pan over medium heat. Add in pumpkin puree, sugar, and white chocolate wafers.
- Bring to a low boil while whisking constantly. Be sure not to burn it. Once the chocolate is melted and is smooth pour into a cup.
- Add whipped topping and cinnamon. Serve hot!