These Santa Hat Cupcakes are homemade down to the frosting. But don’t let that stop you from making them. If you want cupcakes in a flash, you can always use boxed cake mix and frosting in the container. Either way they will still be adorable!
Santa Hat Cupcakes
- 2½ C flour
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ C butter, soft, plus 4 tbsp.
- ¼ C softened shortening
- 1 C sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 TBSP Red Velvet extract
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1 TBSP Red gel food color
- 1 C unsalted butter, softened
- 1 C cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 C powdered sugar
- Red gel food coloring
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake tins with paper liners.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix with a wire whisk.
- In a separate bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter, shortening and sugar until it is light and creamy.
- Add the egg, vanilla, red velvet extract, and red gel food coloring.
- Mix well.
- Add flour and buttermilk, 1/2 of each at a time, mix until completely combined.
- Spoon the batter into the lined cupcake tins until 2/3’s filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from cupcake tins to a wire rack until totally cooled.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese until creamy.
- Mix on low.
- Slowly add powdered sugar until blended.
- Add vanilla and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a large round tip.
- Twist the open end of the pastry bag to force the frosting to the tip.
- Frost the cupcakes by starting on the edge of the cupcake and work toward the center.
- Place the mini marshmallows along the edge of the frosting to resemble the fur on Santa’s hat.
- Add another mini marshmallow to the tip of the frosting for the fur ball on Santa’s hat.