While you may be familiar with the traditional uses of lemons, there are other ways to use them that you may not be aware of. Check out these 13 unique ideas you can use those lemon slices and peels for.
Uses for Lemons
- Lighten Freckles – Slice up a lemon and rub over the freckles you want to lighten. You may need to hold the lemon over top the ones that are more difficult to lighten for a few minutes. This will not make them disappear but fade them so they are less noticeable. Rinse face and apply a moisturizer with sunscreen.
- Get Rid of Odors – Place a lemon peel in your fridge or lemon slices at the bottom of your trashcan to get rid of bad smells.
- Get Hydrated – When you are feeling dehydrated add some slices of lemons to your water to re-hydrate. This is also a good cure for a hangover.
- Help a Sore Throat – Squeeze some lemon juice into warm water and gargle when you have a sore throat to help soothe it.
- Deep Clean your Cutting Boards – Cut a lemon in half, apply salt onto the lemon and scrub your cutting boards. Rinse and dry.
- Get Rid of Fish Smells on Hands – If you are eating fish and can’t get rid of the fishy smell on your hands, squeeze a few drops of lemon juice and rub together. Then, wipe off.
- Marinade – Combine lemon juice with your favorite herbs to marinate meats.
- Whiten Nails – Soak your nails in some lemon juice for 5-10 minutes to whiten nails. Then, rinse and dry.
- Exfoliate – Got some rough, dry patches of skin? Slice a lemon in half and apply sugar to the lemon. Rub on the rough patches of skin to exfoliate and then rinse off.
- Use as a Deodorant – In case of emergency, use a sliced lemon to rub under your arms as a deodorant. It will leave you fresh smelling and get rid of the odor-causing bacteria.
- Keep Rice from Sticking – Add a spoonful of lemon juice to the water when boiling rice to keep it from sticking.
- Remove Underarm Stains – Mix equal parts of lemon juice and water in a spray bottle and spray on the stained areas. Scrub with a brush and then wash. Your shirts will be good as new.
- Use as a Salad Dressing – If you are looking for a way to save on calories, try spritzing your salad with some lemon juice instead of a salad dressing.