I have a sweet addiction around this time of year and it is Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies. I can never have enough boxes of them. If you happen to have some boxes leftover or stashed away try these delicious rich chocolate cupcakes topped with frosting and a Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie. If you don’t have any Thin Mint cookies leftover you can always substitute for a Grasshopper Mint cookie.
Thin Mint Cupcakes
*Makes 12-14 cupcakes
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 3/4 cup flour
• 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup milk
Chocolate Gonache Ingredients
• 2/3 cup chocolate chips
• 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla extra and oil together.
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients. Flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Pour in half of these dry ingredients into the oil mixture and stir.
- Add milk and gently stir again, adding the rest of the dry ingredients. Be careful not to over mix.
- Fill cupcake liners half full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to fully cool.
- Start making the gonache by adding chocolate chips and whipping cream in a small bowl and microwave for 40 seconds. Remove and stir and continue to microwave until smooth.
- Dip cooled cupcakes into the gonache and turn right side up to allow gonache to set.
- Using your vanilla frosting or favorite homemade frosting recipe, adding small amounts of green food coloring until you have reached your desired color.
- Pipe frosting onto your cupcakes and top with Thin Mints! I also crushed up a few and scattered them over the top for more yummy deliciousness!