Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
These Red Velvet Whoopie Pies make a great Valentine’s Day treat. You can make them from scratch and they taste so much better and less money out-of-pocket. The filling is even homemade. Don’t let this homemade recipe scare you away, it is actually easier than you think. Follow these step-by-step instructions for a tasty treat.
Get more RECIPES from ShortCutSaver here!
2½ cups flour
1 tbsp. cocoa powder
1½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ cup butter, soft, plus 4 tbsp also
¼ cup softened shortening
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp. red food color
4 oz. cream cheese
1.5 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees then line baking sheets with parchment paper
2. In a bowl, sift your flour, then add cocoa, soda and salt together mix with a wire whisk
3. In a separate bowl using an electric mixer or Kitchenaid , mix the butter, shortening and sugar till it looks light and a wee bit fluffy.
4. Add egg, 1 tsp. vanilla and food coloring. Mix until combined.
5. Add flour and milk in two additions, alternating between each until completely combined.
6. Scoop batter about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. You should have about 16 whoopee pies
7. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and cool for 5 minutes before placing on wire rack to cool completely.
8. Beat cream cheese and remaining 4 tbsp butter until creamy. Continue to mix on low and slowly adding powdered sugar until combined. Then add remaining 1 tsp. vanilla and mix until just combined.
9. Pipe frosting on half of the cookies and then sandwich them together with the other halves.