This Air Fryer Caprese Grilled Cheese is twist on the classic grilled cheese sandwich filled with fresh tomatoes, basil pesto and mozzarella for a quick and easy lunch!
If you love caprese salad, you’re going to love this sandwich recipe. I could eat grilled cheese almost everyday of the week but sometimes I like to change it up. Fresh ingredients is what makes this sandwich tastes best especially if you can get the tomatoes from your garden or farmers market.
You can use any kind of bread you want for this recipe. My favorite bread to use is Artesano bread. It’s thicker and tastes great. You can change it up with multigrain bread, sourdough wheat bread and more. Serve with chips or garden salad for the perfect sandwich in the summer or on national grilled cheese day that’s done super fast with little cleanup.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Don’t overcook! The longer you cook the harder the bread will get and harder to eat.
- Lay sandwiches in a single layer in air fryer basket or cook separately to make sure it cooks evenly.
- Skip the tomato, pesto and mozzarella and make just a basic grilled cheese sandwich.
- Make sure the cheese is not spilling out over the bread to avoid it leaking all over the air fryer.
- Thicker breads may require longer cook times.
- Can use a few toothpicks to secure sandwich together in the air fryer.
- All air fryers are not the same as some may cook different than others. Make sure to check on the sandwich and adjust to cook times according to your air fryer.
- Try a different variety of cheeses for a new flavor such as pepper jack, colby or cheddar.
2 Slices of Bread (Artesano bread is my favorite)
Sliced Fresh Mozzarella
How to Make Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Preheat the air fryer to 350 F.
Spread butter onto one side of each slice of bread. Spread one tablespoon of basil pesto across the top surface of the bread.
Then top with fresh mozzarella cheese & tomatoes.
Place a slice of bread on top, butter side up. Place the sandwich in the air fryer for 6-8 minutes or until cheese has fully melted. Serve & enjoy.
- 2 Slices of Bread
- Sliced Fresh Mozzarella
- Basil Pesto
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 F.
- Spread butter onto one side of each slice of bread. Spread one tablespoon of pesto across the top surface of the bread. Then top with fresh mozzarella cheese & tomatoes.
- Place a slice of bread on top, butter side up. Place the sandwich in the air fryer for 6-8 minutes or until cheese has fully melted.
- Serve & enjoy.