Indulge in this delectable Strawberry Crunch Poke Cake – a light and delightful dessert that’s perfect for the beautiful spring and summer days!
You’ll absolutely love this Strawberry Crunch Poke Cake if you were a fan of the Good Humor strawberry shortcake crunch ice cream bars during your childhood. You know the ones – with the creamy strawberry ice cream center surrounded by a crunchy layer of vanilla cake and topped with a sweet strawberry sauce.
This dessert is a delightful twist on the classic strawberry crunch ice cream bars and is sure to be a hit with anyone who tries it. It’s cookie crumble topping and fruity sweetness makes it perfect for any occasion, and it’s incredibly easy to make with simple instructions.
So, whether you’re nostalgic for your childhood favorites or just looking for a new dessert to try, this Strawberry Crunch Poke Cake is a must-try!
Why We Love This Strawberry Crunch Cake
- Moist & Delicious – bursting with strawberry flavor and super moist.
- Easy to Make – made with simple ingredients starting with a boxed cake.
- Great for a Crowd – large enough to serve many and great for potlucks, special events and get-togethers.
- Make Ahead – can easily be made in advance and stored.
What You Need
- Boxed cake mix: I used white box cake mix for this recipe.
- Eggs: Used for the cake mix.
- Vegetable oil: Used for the cake mix.
- Water: You will need hot and cold water for the Jello mixture + room temperature water for the cake mixture.
- Strawberry Jello: Two envelopes of strawberry jello powder to get that delicious sweet strawberry flavor for the inside of the cake and topping.
- Whipped topping: I used a tub of Cool Whip for this recipe but you could make homemade whipped cream.
- Golden Oreo cookies: Add the crunchy texture to the top of the cake.
- Melted butter: I used unsalted butter and highly recommend it for this recipe.
- Fresh strawberries: Optional but makes a great garnish to the crunch cake.
- Make it gluten-free by swapping out boxed cake mix and Golden Oreos for gluten free cake mix and Great Value vanilla flavored creme sandwich cookies.
- If you don’t have white cake mix, you can swap out for yellow cake mix or strawberry cake mix.
- Can make your own homemade whipped topping by beating chilled heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar with an electric mixer until stiff peaks.
- If you want a different flavor swap out strawberry jello for a different flavored jello.
How to Make Strawberry Crunch Poke Cake
Full steps of how to make this delicious strawberry crunch poke cake are in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Prepare the cake per directions on the box and allow to cool completely.
Step 2: Prepare one packet of jello per directions on the box.
Step 3: Once cake is cooled use the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes all around the top of the cake.
Step 4: Pour the strawberry gelatin mixture over top cake holes, making sure to get in each hole.
Step 5: Cover cake and place in fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
Step 6: Spread Cool Whip in an even layer over top the cake. Crush up the Golden Oreos and place in bowl with melted butter, and jello packet. Mix together and sprinkle over top of cake.
Step 7: Garnish with a fresh strawberry for each slice and enjoy!
- Crush up the Oreos in either a food processor or smashing it in a zip lock bag with a rolling pin being mindful to not over crush as you want some pieces.
- Space holes about 1″ apart to ensure enough Jello gets saturated in the cake without being soggy.
- Give cake enough time in fridge to allow Jello to set.
- Allow cake to cool completely before pouring gelatin mixture over top to prevent it from sinking to the bottom of the cake.
How to Store a Crunch Cake
- To Store: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days! DO NOT store at room temperature due to it’s gelatin mixture.
- To Freeze: Place in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow to defrost in fridge overnight before serving.
Can I make cupcakes with this recipe?
Yes, you definitely can! Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and add mixture halfway to each liner. Bake at a shorter time than cake time and when toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Then follow the poke and topping instructions to finish the cupcakes.
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Of course you can make this cake ahead of time. It stores nicely in an airtight container in the fridge and can be made 2 days in advanced. Hold off on the topping before you’re ready to serve to prevent it from getting soggy.
How to serve strawberry crunch cake?
Serve on it’s own with a strawberry garnish or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and extra whipped cream.
What if I don’t have a wooden spoon?
If you don’t have a wooden spoon, you can use a bamboo skewer to pokes holes in the cake.
More Poke Cake Recipes
Strawberry Crunch Poke Cake
Indulge in this delectable Strawberry Crunch Poke Cake - a light and delightful dessert that's perfect for the beautiful spring and summer days!
- 15 oz box white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 oz strawberry jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
Strawberry Crunch Topping
- 3 oz strawberry jello
- 8 oz cool whip
- 18-20 golden oreos (crushed)
- 1/4 unsalted butter (melted)
- Fresh strawberries are optional
- Prepare oven and baking dish. Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare cake mix. Follow the back of the box instructions to prepare the cake. Pour cake mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake according to box instructions.
- Poke the cake. Allow cake to cool completely. Once cooled use the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes all around the top of the cake.
- Prepare the Jello mixture. In a small to medium bowl add one box of jello, boiling water, mix and then cold water and mix once again. Pour the gelatin mixture over top cake holes, making sure to get in each hole.
- Allow Jello to set up. Cover cake and place in fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- Prepare topping. Spread Cool Whip evenly over top the cake. Crush up the Golden Oreos. Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl. In a bowl, pour the oreos, then butter over top and mix, then add in the other box of jello powder and mix once again. Sprinkle all over the top of the cake and lightly press down to make the crumbs stick into the cool whip.
- Slice and serve! Add fresh strawberries for garnish.