Enjoy a McDonald’s Shamrock Shake all year long with this copycat recipe! So easy to make with just a few ingredients and tastes just like the original mint shake!
No need to wait in line anymore at McDonald’s during the limited time these Shamrock Shakes are available. You can make this delicious St. Patrick’s Day treat at home whenever you get that craving. Our version is way better than the fast food chain and less expensive to make. Top it with as much whipped cream, sprinkles and cherries as you want and enjoy!
What is a Shamrock Shake?
McDonald’s introduced Shamrock Shakes for a limited time back in 1970 but started out a a lemon lime sherbet flavor. When that wasn’t a hit they changed the formula in 1973 to vanilla ice cream and green food coloring. Talk about a tasteless shake. Thankfully, they changed the formula again in 1983 of the creamy, mint milkshake that became a hit where Shamrock Shakes are sold. It makes a comeback to the menu every year in the middle of February and stays till just after St. Patrick’s Day.
Recipe Tips & Variations
- We recommend using whole milk as it makes the creamiest milkshakes but if you don’t have any on hand you can use any milk.
- Make it boozy by adding Bailey’s and swapping out mint extract for Creme de Menthe liquor.
- Make it a Shamrock McFlurry by adding crushed Oreos and blending together.
- Be sure to use mint extract for this recipe and not peppermint. They are both different in flavor and the mint flavor is what makes this a complete dupe McDonald’s version.
Shamrock Shake Ingredients
Makes 2 Shakes
3 cups vanilla ice cream
1 cup whole milk
1/4 tsp pure mint extract
10 drops green food coloring
Whipped cream topping (optional)
Green sprinkles (optional)
Maraschino cherries (0ptional)
How to Make a Shamrock Shake
Add vanilla ice cream, milk, mint extract and green food coloring to a blender. Blend all ingredients together until shake consistency.
Pour the milkshake into cups and garnish with whipped cream, sprinkles, cherry and a straw if desired.
Serve and enjoy!
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 tsp pure mint extract
- 10 drops green food coloring
- Whipped cream topping (optional)
- Green sprinkles (optional)
- Maraschino cherries (0ptional)
- Add vanilla ice cream, milk, mint extract and green food coloring to a blender. Blend all ingredients together until shake consistency.
- Pour the milkshake into cups and garnish with whipped cream, sprinkles, cherry and a straw if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!