Unicorns are trending right now and a colorful treat can put a smile on anyone’s face. I am loving this recipe for Unicorn Loaf Cake as it has a sweet surprise inside with a magical touch. Feel free to get even more creative with this recipe by using different colors and shapes. Enjoy!!
Unicorn Loaf Cake
- 2 boxes of vanilla cake mix
- 6 eggs
- 1 C canola oil
- 1 C water
- Purple, pink, blue and teal gel coloring
- 4 disposable piping bags
- Cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Loaf pan
- Star cookie cutter
- Make the 2 white cake mixes according to the boxes.
- Mix one box into a medium bowl and the other into another medium bowl.
- Take the second white bowl and split it into 4 bowls.
- Take the color and add a color to one bowl each.
- Scoop 1 color of the 4 batters into one piping bag.
- Repeat with remaining 3 colors.
- Using the cookie sheet with parchment paper, take 1 of the piping bags, cut the tip-off, pipe one line of the color batter from side to side. Repeat with the other colors. Example: purple, pink, teal, green, purple, pink, teal, green until the pan is covered in colorful lines.
- Bake the cake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until cake is baked and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Take the star cookie cutter and cut out star shapes.
- Take your loaf pan and spray pam all over it.
- Pour some of the plain cake batter into the bottom of the pan.
- Take your star shapes and place them standing up into the batter that is already in the loaf pan.
- Slowly pour the remaining batter around the stars so that when it bakes, the batter will bake over the stars and you won’t see them.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Set aside and let cool before taking out and placing on your favorite serving dish.
Vanilla Royal Icing Ingredients
- 3 whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tarter
- 3 C powder sugar plus 1/2 c on stand by
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pink and Green gel food coloring
- Confetti Sprinkles
Vanilla Royal Icing Directions
- Combine all ingredients, except the colors and sprinkles, into a standing mixer and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add the extra half cup of powder sugar if the royal icing looks runny.
- Once stiff peaks form split into 3.
- Add the two colors into the bowls, mix until you have your desired color, leaving one bowl white.
- Add the white icing first over the loaf and then drizzle the pink and green.
- Add the sprinkles.