Sonic is one of the most iconic video game characters. He’s a fast blue hedgehog, with a penchant for chili dogs and defeating his enemies using his speed!
Every good video game needs a movie adaptation, right? On Saturday I went to see the new Sonic the Hedgehog 2 movie. I had fond memories of playing it on my Sega Genesis back in 1992. As such, I thought it would be fun to go see it. The truth is, it was!
Picking up where Sonic and Tails left off after the events of Sonic the Hedgehog, Dr. Eggman has returned to create a new space station that is designed to destroy the world. Along with an army of re-programmed Badniks, can he be stopped? Or will you have to live with yet another ruined planet? I guess we should find out!
This will be an in-depth review on the highly-anticipated, long-awaited Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
Lots of Laughs
There is plenty of humor in this film for all to enjoy (more so for the adults than kids). I loved the reference when Doctor Eggman (Jim Carey) asks to get him off this piece of Shiitake Mushroom Planet. It’s little things like that throughout the film that adults will get and not the kids.
Of course there is plenty of humor in the film that kids will enjoy like the farting scene from Sonic. All kids love farts! LOL It will definitely keep kids and adults entertained all the way to the end of the movie.
This film is more action driven than the first Sonic movie. Kids will love the duo between Knuckles and Sonic along with duo of Doctor Eggman and Sonic!
Jim Carey Delivers
Jim Carey delivered on his character of Doctor Robotnik this time around. His character was more intense, manic and unhinged compared to the first movie. Of course he threw in some of his sarcastic humor that also makes the character.
This film introduces two new characters, Tails and Knuckles; a hero and an enemy! They are both a great addition to movie and got some time to shine.
- Tails – Sonic’s new sidekick that is a fox. Super powers include two tails that rotate like a helicopter to fly. Can also swim underwater, something that Sonic cannot do.
- Knuckles – An enemy of Sonic and part of Doctor Eggman’s team. His powers give him the ability to climb up walls and a powerful fighter with his spiked hands. Also, has super speed but not as fast as Sonic.
Lots of Shout Outs
There are plenty of celebrity and character shouts out during the movie such referring to Knuckles as “The Winter Solider” while skiing through the mountains. That’s what Sonic is known for in the first movie. There’s also some celebrity shout outs such as “The Rock” and “Vin Diesel”. This is what makes the movie more humorous.
An Improvement from the First Movie
The second movie in the series of Sonic the Hedgehog is a great improvement on the first. It picks up the pace and entertains from start to finish.
Paramount Pictures definitely listened to the viewers such as, redesigning Tails, making the green emerald bigger and other minor details that made a big difference in the second film.
Is Sonic 2 Suitable for Kids?
- Language: There were two times in the film where bad words were used such as “hell” and “screw you”. Other than that it was clean with words.
- Violence: There was a moment in the film where I did gasp and was quite disturbing when Knuckles got hit with a car at full speed by Tails but overall the fighting was pretty minimal and not harmful for kids to see.
- Overall: I thought the film was great and fun for the whole family that entertaining, funny and action packed. It does come in at about 2 hours long which I thought that was a bit too long for a kids movie and stretched out (could of ended around the 1 hour and 28 minutes mark). Other than that, it’s a movie to see!
Take the whole family to see Sonic the Hedgehog 2 playing in theaters everywhere April 8th! And be sure to stay for the post credit scene! You don’t want to miss it!
About Sonic the Hedgehog 2
The world’s favorite blue hedgehog is back for a next-level adventure in SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2. After settling in Green Hills, Sonic is eager to prove he has what it takes to be a true hero. His test comes when Dr. Robotnik returns, this time with a new partner, Knuckles, in search for an emerald that has the power to destroy civilizations.
Sonic teams up with his own sidekick, Tails, and together they embark on a globe-trotting journey to find the emerald before it falls into the wrong hands.