The wait is almost over and Disney’s Into The Woods will be playing in theatres tonight beginning at midnight. Be sure to check your local listing and times. If you don’t want to venture out tonight, check out the film tomorrow, 12/25 with the entire family. Don’t forget to read my review about the movie Into The Woods here and my interview with Meryl Streep, Tracey Ullman, and Christine Baranski here.
Fun Facts about Into The Woods:
- Production on “Into the Woods” began in September, 2013 at Shepperton Studios and on locations throughout England.
- Stephen Sondheim has received eight Tony® Awards, more than any other composer in history. He has won seven times: Best Music and Best Lyrics for “Company” (1971); and Best Score for “Follies” (1972), “A Little Night Music” (1973), “Sweeney Todd” (1979), “Into the Woods” (1988) and “Passion” (1994). His eighth honor was a 2008 Special Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Theatre.
- The foundation of the Woods set, built on Stage H at Shepperton Studios, was made up of 2,000 tons of soil, over 600 ferns, acres and acres of ivy and countless pallets of moss and turf.
- 95 percent of the trees used on the Woods set were real trees, which included 30-foot pine trees and hundreds of 25-foot oak tree branches, the leaves of which had to be removed and replaced with artificial ones (so they would last longer). The remaining five percent were full-sized whimsical trees constructed from plaster.
- There were four cows cast to play Milky-White. Their names were Tug, Diamond, Two Fold and Pearl.
- Rapunzel’s hair in the film is 20 feet long. The braid is made from real hair and weighs almost six pounds.
- The music for the film was pre-recorded over a two-week period at Angel Studios in London with a 56-piece orchestra, composed of some of the best musicians from the London Symphony Orchestra and London Philharmonic.
Cast: Meryl Streep, Emily Blunt, James Corden, Anna Kendrick, Chris Pine, Daniel Huttlestone, Tracey Ullman, Christine Baranski, Lilla Crawford, Johnny Depp, Billy Magnussen, MacKenzie Mauzy,Tammy Blanchard, and Lucy Punch.
Director: Rob Marshall
Producers: John DeLuca, Rob Marshall, Marc Platt, Callum McDougall
Screenplay by: James Lapine
Based on the Musical by: Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine
Music and Lyrics by: Stephen Sondheim
Visit the Disney Into the Woods website!