If you’re looking for a new TV show to watch, check out “Home Economics” Wednesday Nights at 8:30 EST on ABC. It’s a light-hearted comedy about sibling relationships, family dynamics and the effect that finances can have on it all and definitely a show most people can relate to.
The series stars Topher Grace (That 70’s Show) as Tom, Caitlin McGee as Sarah, Jimmy Tatro (American Vandal) as Connor, Karla Souza (How to Get Away with Murder) as Marina and Sasheer Zamata (SNL) as Denise. Also starring is Shiloh Bearman as Gretchen, Jordyn Curet as Shamiah, Chloe Jo Rountree as Camila and JeCobi Swain as Kelvin.
Last week I had the chance to talk with Karla Souza who plays Marina, a wife, mom and proud Latina in “Home Economics” just like Karla is in real life. We talked about how it was going from a deep dark series to a light-hearted comedy which she loves starting something fresh like comedy to what drew her to this character, working with the cast and more. Check out some fun facts from the show and about Karla also.
Fun Facts about Home Economics & Karla Souza
- The show is inspired by the real-life experiences from writer and executive producer Michael Colton.
- There is a lot of improv on the show such as full on conversations in Spanish where bits and pieces were put into the show, where Marina calls Tom a chicken, and more.
- The cast works great together giving each other compliments and likes to make each other laugh.
- Karla jokes and said she was drawn to the character because of the all the wine but the main reason was starting with a fresh series and some comedy.
- Karla sees a lot of similarities with her character Marina being a mom, maybe locking herself in the bathroom once or twice to get away from her kids and sibling rivalries.
- Some wardrobe pieces that Karla wears on the show came from Mexico and are very authentic to her character’s Marina ethnicity.
“Home Economics” airs WEDNESDAYS (8:30-9:00 p.m. EST) on ABC. Episodes can also be viewed the next day on demand and on Hulu.