You can find a chair just about anywhere from curbs, thrift stores, and garage sales. Sometimes they might be the color or fabric you want. Most chairs are easy to upcycle with some paint and fabric depending on the chair. I found this chair at a thrift store for $4 and didn’t quite like the wood color or the fabric of the seat cover. I was able to transform it to a more modern style in no time and the cost was under $10.
Instead of searching for a chair to match your decor, why not make it yourself on the cheap. Read my step-by-step instructions below on how you can make your own DIY Chair Upcycle.
Easy DIY Chair Upcycle
Paint of your choice (spray or roll on will do)
Medium Grade sandpaper
Staple gun, staples
½ yard of fabric of your choice
Look for an old chair that is solid in structure. Nothing else cosmetic matters as that will all be fixed in this upcycle.
1. Begin by taking a dry cloth and wiping away any dust, dirt, or debris. If you wish you can wash the chair prior if it needs it, just be sure to wipe dry.
2. Use the screwdriver to remove the four screws holding the seat cushion in place. Set the cushion aside.
3. Your frame of the chair will now be exposed. Lightly sand away any rough patches or scratches. Give the entire chair a light sanding to help the paint adhere better without the use of a primer.
4. Using brush on or spray paint (we used spray for quick and easy coverage) apply two coats of paint to the chair. Allow time for drying in between each coat.
5. While the chair dries, turn your cushion over and place it face down on the backside of your fabric.
6. Pull the fabric over the sides of the cushion and secure them in place with staples. Create a line of staples around the perimeter of the chair, pulling the fabric tightly as you do. This will help eliminate any wrinkles.
7. Place the seat back onto the chair and secure it in place with the screws.
Your chair upcycle is now complete. You can lightly sand the edges if you wish for a more vintage or distressed look, otherwise leave as is and enjoy.