It’s that time of year for the Academy Awards or better known as the Oscars. While everyone is getting red carpet ready, I am baking some Academy Award Cookies for a party. The recipe is for homemade cookies but you can make them with a sugar cookie mix. Not only are they fun to make but perfect for any Oscars party!
Academy Awards Cookies
- 5 C flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ C soft unsalted butter
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
Royal Icing Recipe
- Icing Ingredients:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powder sugar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- Black & White gel food coloring
- Cream the soft butter with the sugar until the combination is smooth not grainy to the touch in a mixing bowl.
- Add all 4 eggs at one time. Continue to mix.
- Add the vanilla. Continue mixing.
- Sift the four, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- Continue mixing to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Make the dough into a ball, wrap it in cling wrap completely covering the entire dough ball.
- Put in the refrigerator for about 6 hours or overnight. Check to see if the dough is firm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pull the cookie dough out of the refrigerator and sit it out to soften up a bit.
- Put flour out on the wood cutting board, rub flour on the rolling-pin, and work some flour into the batter. (if needed)
- Roll the dough out on the cutting board and use the cookie cutter to make the cookies.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a metal spatula move the cut cookies to the parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes. Check to see if the cookies are thoroughly baked.
- Take the cookies off of the cookie sheet and put on a wire rack to cool completely. (About 10 minutes).
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except the food coloring)
- If icing is not stiff enough add ¼ C powder sugar.
- Divide the icing in half into bowls.
- Add several drops of black gel food coloring into the first bowl of icing. Stir well to mix the color.
- Add several drops of white gel food coloring into the second bowl of icing. Stir well to mix the color.
- Spoon each color of icing into individual frosting bags with a #5 tips. Twist the open end of the bag to push the icing to the tip.
- Cover the cookie with white icing.
- Allow to harden for 2 hours or stick them in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Using the black icing, draw a box at the bottom of the cookie for the statue stand.
- Using the gold sparkle gel, hand draw the statue standing on top of the black box.
- Add some gold dots around the award.
- Allow the cookies to dry for about 2 hours.