Soap Scum is the worst to have in the shower and I have found it so difficult to get off until now. This 2 ingredient recipe I have is the absolute best and can remove soap scum with little scrubbing and it is effective. It only cost a few dollars to make and you may even have the ingredients on hand already.
I love how natural and non-toxic this recipe is but I will warn you that there is a vinegar smell. I find it less bothering than other bathroom cleaners I have used. I usually put the bathroom fan on and shut the door. The consistency will be a little thick which makes it stay in place and will not be soapy. A little goes a long way and works wonders on shower doors. You can even use this recipe for your bathroom and kitchen sinks!
Soap Scum Remover
- 5 oz. Dawn Dish Soap (I have tried several different kinds of Dawn and they all seem to be just as effective)
- 12 oz. Distilled White Vinegar
- Spray Bottle
- Add the Dawn dish soap to the empty spray bottle.
- Heat the distilled white vinegar in the microwave (in a microwave safe dish) for 90 seconds.
- Pour the heated distilled white vinegar using the funnel into the spray bottle and shake well.
- Spray the soap scum stained areas and let it sit for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours wipe away the soap scum. (you can also follow-up with a regular bathroom cleaner if needed)
Since the ingredients work best when the vinegar is heated, I suggest making a batch right before you are going to use it rather than ahead of time and storing it. This recipe was enough to do my 2.5 bathrooms and the kitchen sink.
You can check out my video below to see how effective the recipe really is.